Being deposed is a nerve-wracking process for many individuals. But if you are properly prepared and know what to expect at the deposition, you will be more confident and more relaxed in properly answering the questions. Your Thousand Oaks injury lawyer will give you pointers and tell you what to expect at your deposition.
What Is a Deposition?
A deposition is a question-answer session that typically takes place in an attorney’s office. The answers you provide at your deposition will be given under oath and may ultimately be used as evidence at trial. Therefore, it is very important that you honestly answer the questions and do not provide any incriminating evidence, to the best of your ability.
Tips & Pointers For a Successful Deposition
Your Thousand Oaks injury lawyer will want you to keep the following tips and pointers in mind during your deposition:
- Do not answer a question unless you completely understand what is being asked
- Carefully listen to every question
- Maintain eye contact with the deposing attorney
- If you do not know the answer to a question, say “I do not recall”
- Be polite and courteous
- Be honest in answering the questions, even if you think it will weaken your case
- Do not argue with the deposing attorney
- Be on time
- Dress appropriately in business attire
- Speak loud and clear because you are being transcribed
For more information about preparing for your deposition or how to conduct yourself at your deposition, please call Thousand Oaks injury lawyer Gary Mitchell at 888-452-1846.